Monday, July 17, 2017

What to Read This Summer

     This summer is the perfect opportunity to indulge in a good read. Whether it’s out by the pool, with your feet in the sand, or on the couch in the A.C., teens can certainly beat boredom by reading a book. I’m sure that for many teens, reading isn’t a go-to form of relaxation as it is for me, but with a great book it can be!

     This week I will be featuring the novel, Out of My Mind by Sharon Draper. This book is sure to hold your attention and play with your emotions. In Out of My Mind, Sharon Draper writes about Melody, an eleven-year-old suffering from cerebral palsy. Because of Melody’s disability she has never been able to walk, talk, or do much of anything on her own. Once she receives a keyboard that allows her to speak, Melody uses her new found voice to show her classmates, family, and friends all of her knowledge that she was never able to express.

   Melody endures a series of events in which, given her circumstances, she feels the need to prove her strength. Out of My Mind is an extremely uplifting novel that gives readers an idea of the perspective of someone with cerebral palsy. Melody’s ambitious attitude, and the fact that she doesn't let cerebral palsy define her is truly motivating.

   Out of My Mind is a perfect teen read for this summer!

   What are you reading this week?


-PS-

No comments: